The Muffia survives as a book club after fifteen years for the following reasons ( in order of importance):
1. The Muffs take turns picking the books we read.
2. If a Muff hostess suggests “Remembrance of Things Passed,” other Muffs aren’t allowed to get annoyed if they don’t want to read it. The corollary to this is no Muff hostess gets annoyed if other Muffs don’t read her book choice.
3. No Muff gets too upset if members can’t come at the last minute. However, a little upset is mandatory to show caring and empathy.
4. The Muff hostess always has a tasty cocktail offering for those Muffs who make it to book club. (Note: This could be more important than #1)
5. A Muffia book club gathering always consists of equal parts “talking about the book” and “roundy-round” where important non-book talk occurs.